Spectrasonics Stylus RMX
It would not be an exaggeration to state that Stylus revolutionized the music industry when it first came out in 2002.
Actually, everything Spectrasonics has released to date has been undeniably awesome. Stylus is no exception. To this day, it remains an absolute must-have product for anyone serious about making/producing music.
It’s available for both Windows and Mac operating systems and comes in AU/VST/RTAS and AAX formats. You can purchase it physically or choose to buy it via download. Loops are synced directly to your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) tempo. The host interface has cool features like drag and drop, midi information, etc. You can easily alter loops by changing the time signature and play it back on half or double speed. One of our favourite features is the ability to load up to 8 patches inside one instance (which uncommon in the softsynth world). This is particularly helpful for those working on laptops or basic setups as it drastically reduces the CPU load. If you’re looking for inspiration and trying out ideas, make sure to check out the inbuilt effects processors. Also, another personal favourite is the Chaos Designer which allows you to alter each slice and loop endlessly until you’ve made it your own. Trust us, we LOVE this product as it’s played a key role in so many of our successful productions in the last two decades. It continues to be an essential writing tool for countless award-winning producers throughout the world. If you don’t have it, you must get it today.
- An unbelievably eclectic range of beats/loops, percussion sounds and more
- A powerful tool that gives you countless possibilities (from customising loops and changing individual beats to creating a totally new jaw-dropping groove)
- Easy to use
- Expansion packs from third-party developers are available and definitely recommended
- Some of the sounds (particularly loops) are heavily processed. This might be problematic during mixing.
- If you want to get the most out of Stylus then be prepared to spend money on the expansion libraries
- In a time where every sound/plugin can be made available through Cloud subscription, Stylus is a little behind in terms of making meaningful and significant updates that leave a ‘mark’
Who should buy this product?
- You’re a music producer and need a powerful and easy-to-use tool to create rhythms and beats for your productions.
- You’re a writer/musician who needs a powerful tool to create rhythms and beats instantly for ideas and inspiration.
- You’re a sound designer and looking for sound designing elements.
- You see this as a long-term investment.
Who should not buy this product?
- If you can’t afford Stylus, not to worry. It’s not the end of the world. There are newer and more affordable alternatives.
An essential writing tool and awesome virtual instrument for all kinds of beat production (comes highly recommended!)