Ableton is a remarkable all-in-one music production solution and is currently a favourite for many producers (particularly those specializing in electronic dance music).
Ableton Live is a powerful digital audio workstation, ideal for live performances. Most DJs and electronic-influenced musicians swear by it and use it religiously. It’s a steady and stable DAW that is preferred by creatives who wish to experiment and build unique audio projects. One of the best things about Ableton is that once you’ve unwrapped and installed it, you’re pretty much ready to produce your next potential hit! The functionality is amazingly easy and straightforward. Drag and drop any loop and have it instantly locked to your project tempo; Map any midi controller to any parameter within seconds (e.g. automating track volumes, filters, etc); add multiple signal processing effects instantly (with access to the sends) without having to open multiple windows. Ableton Live is any producer’s dream production and audio tool kit.
- Fast navigation, all in one window with powerful automation capabilities
- Comes with great ready-to-use sounds and loops
- Supports both VSTs and Audio Units Plugins
- Still no support for VST3 or MPE (MIDI Polyphonic Expression)
- Ableton Live currently only runs at 64‑bit
- No track comping. No notation view. No pitch correction tool.
- A little pricey compared to its competitors
Who should buy this product?
- You have the cash and can afford it.
- You see this as a long-term investment.
- You’re a musician/producer who loves electronic music and wants to produce awesome material.
- The perfect Christmas/birthday present for anyone in the family who’s musical and would appreciate such a gift (this product is perfectly suitable for novices and experts alike).
Who should not buy this product?
- If you don’t have a big budget, there are other alternatives.
- If you work in film music and require scoring and complex mix templates, this DAW is most likely not for you.
- If your music relies heavily on live instruments and less on softsynths, don’t buy this product as there are more suitable options available.
Ableton Live is a producer’s dream Digital Audio Workstation. With its awesome factory sounds, loops and tools that provide endless possibilities it is one of the most accessible and user-friendly DAWs out there. It’s great for all genres but works best for EDM and Pop music.