Perhaps this microphone can be best described as the crème de la crème of all valve mics. Several of us here at Phenodia actually swear by it — that’s how much we LOVE it.
The amazing thing about the VMA model is that it’s a 2-in-1 mic so you’re getting the iconic Brauner VM1 sound as well as the awesome creaminess of model VMX for the price of one. You can record everything with this mic and expect nothing short of brilliance. However, the very best results are often reserved for vocals. This microphone is primarily meant for studio use and we would advise against using it on stage.
More realism or rather more character in the reproduction? Normally a question such as this implies a choice between two completely different microphones. This question is no problem for the VMA, it unites these two basic sound characters in one.
- A hugely rich and warm sound (especially on the bottom-end)
- Two mic settings for the price of one (the iconic VM1 + VMX)
- Exceptionally crafted with strong durability
- It’s a little pricey
- It’s a valve mic so it needs a lot of care and attention. Servicing might be difficult if you’re based outside Germany
Who should buy this product?
- You have the cash and it won’t break the bank.
- You see this as a long-term investment, for example, you’re a studio owner and wish to ‘up’ your game by offering an amazing product to your clientele.
- You’re a professional vocalist/musician who just loves the warmth and pristine quality of the Brauner sound (and who’s tired of spending countless dollars on studio fees!)
Who should not buy this product?
- If you don’t have a big budget, do not put yourself in debt over this mic.
- If your intention is solely to get a ‘great sounding’ mic, don’t buy this mic. There are cheaper alternatives.
- The relationship with the Brauner VMA (or any product with that kind of price tag) should ultimately be a kind of love affair and if you’re not getting butterflies when looking at this beauty then take your cash and spend it on a nice vacation.
A masterpiece microphone that is sure to blow you away. It’s also a career investment and, with proper care, is sure to last you a lifetime.